Monday, January 14, 2008

Deceptively Delicious!

I got the Jessica Seinfeld cookbook Deceptively Delicious for Christmas & have been cooking with it for the past week. I spent 4 hours in the kitchen the other day steaming, pureeing & freezing vegetables to sneak into my dinners. It's made me really excited about cooking because I feel like I'm doing something good for Jack, who doesn't eat any fruit at all & will only eat a little broccoli. And, once I started cooking her recipes it's been easy to see how I can adapt the purees for other foods I normally cook.

Here's what I've tried so far:
Pancakes w/ sweet potato puree- I make some pretty good pancakes & the sweet potatoes made them 10 times better. Yum.
Grilled cheese w/ sweet potato puree- Yum again. I add goat cheese crumbles to my grilled cheese. You couldn't even tell something was different about these.
Spaghetti Pie- The sauce had pureed carrots & the meatballs pureed broccoli. This was so tasty. Even better the 2nd day after I baked it again like all pasta.
Mac & Cheese w/ cauliflower puree- This was okay- a little creamy, but not terrible. It was reminiscent of cafeteria mac & cheese.
Sloppy Joes w/ sweet potato & butternut squash purees- John & I both liked this a lot. Yum, yum.

1 comment:

Courey said...

dude, I got this book and it's awesome. I had one of those moments though where I felt like a total idiot. I was at a play group and all the moms were talking about this book and I said (in predictably oblivious Courey fashion), "you know what's so funny, the picture of her husband looks just like Jerry Seinfeld and his name is Jerry Seinfeld too!" .... There was a long astounded pause that ended when someone said, "Please, please tell me this is just another joke that I don't understand." Unfortunately it wasn't and I didn't have the social prowess to pull it off like it was. So now every time I pick up that book I half laugh and half cringe remembering that mortifying moment.

you should email me or call me or something some time, I miss you and I want to hear more about your kid!